Monday, July 28, 2014

Vintage Princess Tea Party

Planning Isabella's 6th birthday was a blast! It all started when I was in the workroom at the High School that pays my bills. At the center of the workroom sits a coffee table which at the time was covered in used large tri-fold cardboard posters with a "FREE" sign on it. I immediately envisioned a golden tiara/crown for a dessert table backdrop. So from that piece of cardboard that a student once used for a project on becoming an Aviation Pilot, I decided to take it home. From there, this party began to pretty much plan itself.  

For my crown backdrop: I carefully drew my version of a crown and cut it with a box cutter. I then had my husband paint it in gold (purchased the gold paint with 40% coupon at Michaels). I used gems to adorn each peak of the crown and gold glitter to outline the entire thing. The entire project was less than $10 dollars to make. The banner was a separate purchase from Etsy.  

Dessert Table: I made Fruit Tarts, Chocolate dipped marshmallows with sprinkles, vanilla cupcakes, coconut macaroons and purchased a pastry assortment from Costco. 




The baggies were a total of $3 dollars. Purchased the ribbon, the doilies and the brown paper bags at the Dollar Tree.

I just love everything about this picture!!! Somewhere along the party planning way, the princess party   became a princess tea party. I had so much fun perusing the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and Swapmeet for my tea cups. I kept finding the most beautiful vintage pieces. 


Cucumber sandwiches, anyone?

I ordered a kids table with kids chairs for their sweet tea party.

With the leftover gems that I used for the crown backdrop, I decided to make princess/prince hats for the kids. I used all pink card-stock and one tan colored card-stock (which I was lucky enough to already have in my craft-box), rolled it up, stapled it and hole punched it for gold satin ribbon. I used the gems for embellishment and glitter to write each princess/prince's initial. 

Kids food menu included, pb&j, veggie cups, mac & cheese, pigs in blanket and cucumber sandwiches.


My centerpieces for the Queens (the moms) table is a funny story. I actually baked mini cakes with ruffled frosting for centerpieces. My mini cakes were supposed to sit on the gold candle holder with the glued round mirror (as pictured above) which were purchased (separately) at the Dollar Tree and spray painted and assembled. Anyway, the morning of the party, as I rushed to get the party set up, my mini cakes smashed into one another and were a complete mess. I was beyond upset. I think I cried a little. LESSON LEARNED. Luckily, my lovely sister, Maria, and my very patient friend, Azumi, had the brilliant idea of using the teapots as vases. So that is how I ended up with these beautiful centerpieces.



The kids loved this box. It had tiaras, boas, rings, knight gear, kid friendly nail polish (with parental permission, my older nieces painted nails) etc. 


My brilliant sister Maria thought it would be a great idea for the little ones to see a "real" looking princess. So while my oldest niece drove to the nearby Dollar Tree and picked up a few toys, my other niece put on her Quincenera (Sweet 15) dress with a tiara. At the top of the hour, following the sound of the trumpet, the double doors opened and out came a "real" princess bearing gifts for all the children. The kids were in AWE, to say the least. (I wish I had taken a better picture of the moment they saw her and of their little faces....it was priceless!)

My photo backdrop consisted of a pink table cloth and paper fans from Oriental Trading. Love those paper fans!

Happy 6th Birthday to my beautiful Princess!